Plant-based Fast Food
Greenbox was born from two best friends, Ross and Tom, on a search for accessible plant-based food. Their current menu consists of vegan mac and cheese, wraps, burgers, loaded chips and nachos, and more. Ross and Tom believe in sustainability, and love to educate their customers on plant-based alternatives. Here’s one of their favourite recipes: Vegan Fish & Chips.
2 x 565g tins of banana blossom
2 tbsp lemon juice
500ml vegetable stock
2 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
400g plain flour (chilled in the fridge), plus extra
Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- Drain the liquid from the banana blossom tin. Rinse the blossom then place in a bowl.
- Add the stock, lemon juice and salt to the bowl. Top up with hot water to cover the blossom. Leave for one hour.
- Heat up a saucepan half-full of vegetable oil on medium heat.
- Mix the baking powder and salt into the chilled flour. Whisk into a paste.
- Squeeze out the banana blossom.
- Dip them in the flour, coating evenly.
- Completely cover each piece in the batter before lowering into the hot oil.
- Cook for a few minutes until golden and crispy.
- Remove each piece with a slotted spoon.
- Serve and enjoy!